Glow In The Dark Application ~ Edenvale Library.

May 20-June 3: Began several glow paint tests using Lit pigment. The pigment itself is great and in it’s powder form actually had a nice glow to it when charged and placed in the dark. I tried some mixes that are compatible with the exterior mural. My initial studio tests were done on blank white canvas that I later hung outside for testing.

Studio Test 1: Created Mix using Polyurethane. It did have a glow, but the mixture was runny and drippy due to the viscosity of the polyurethane. It took about 5 coats to get a semi-decent glow. It was luminescent in some areas of the surface, but faint in others.

Studio Test 2: Created Mix using Polyurethane with Exterior grade white paint. This made for an improved application since the viscosity of the mixture was on the thicker side. It took 1 coat to get a semi-decent glow. Although this mixture did not meet my expectation for luminescence, I tested it on the wall since it was good on the application side of the process.

Wall Test 1: Applied Polyurethane with Exterior grade white paint mixture. The mixture stuck very well onto the wall surface. It was not drippy. Upon returning that night, I was unsatisfied with the luminescence of the glow.

Studio Test 3: Created Mix using an Exterior grade Acrylic Clear Medium. This made for an improved application since the viscosity of the mixture was on the thicker side. It took 1 coat to get a semi-decent glow. I continually added pigment in order to maximize the luminance. This created an opaque pigment mixture that looks florescent in the light and glowed in the dark. I applied this to a white canvas and after some success, I applied it onto some studio artwork in order to see how it performed next to variant color combinations and it did well.

Wall Test 2: Returned at night when it was completely dark (10pm). Applied the Exterior grade Acrylic Clear Medium mix to several parts of the wall (left, center, right and slightly higher up) in order to get a variety of light to dark situations. I made a good mix that was not drippy and looked opaque. Upon returning that night, I was still unsatisfied with the luminescence of the glow. I could not tell if my mix was too transparent, or if the glow was losing charge in some areas. Also, the area has lots of light sources constantly coming in from traffic. It also seems affected by the street light pole, and adjacent library building lights. I covered some of them with boards to see if this would help. I did see a glow, but needed to stand fairly close to the wall.

These photos are from that night but standing at a distance. I had to cover the Library Lights with boards for the glowing to appear.
Click on images to zoom up.

With Library Exterior Lights (uncovered)
Click on images to zoom up.

With Lights Covered. I waited for a moment with no traffic for this photo. It’s the darkest I could get it.

Wall Test 3: Returned at night when it was completely dark outside (9:45pm). Applied more of the Exterior grade Acrylic Clear Medium mix to the same parts of the wall from the previous test. This time I put much more pigment. Note: the mixture can only carry so much pigment. I found that if there was too much, that it would flake off when dry. This time, based on studio tests I was confident that it would be brighter. Upon returning that night, I was still unsatisfied with the luminescence of the glow. This time, the library interior lights were all turned on because cleaners were working inside. I will return tonight (June 3rd) to see if that was the cause. Will take more photos if the lighting is okay.

Here is a video from my studio tests that proves the mixture worked.